About Stalink Dish Tracking, To provide high-speed internet, Starlink had launched over 4000 satellites in low earth orbit by May 2023. But have you ever wondered what these satellites look like in the sky?
Well, a few resources online can help you know when these satellites will parade above your area’s sky. Now gather around as the Stalink dish tracking article discusses some of these tools and tips on using them.
Table of Contents
- What are the Best Starlink Satellite Tracking Sites
- What is Satellite Tracker Data From Starlink
- How to Perform Satellite Tracking With Starlink’s Satellite Tracker
- Starlink’s Satellite Tracker Tips For Getting Accurate Tracking Results
- Common Troubleshooting When Using Starlink’s Satellite Tracker
What are the Best Starlink Satellite Tracking Sites
Did you know there are live maps that track the course of Starlink satellites as they travel around the world? Below are some tracking sites to help you know when to view Starlink satellites from the ground.
In my opinion, satellite maps are the most valuable yet easy-to-use tool for tracking Starlink satellites. These maps give you a comprehensive yet easy-to-understand visual representation of satellites.
It is like a Google Earth where you rotate it to show satellites in different countries and continents. The best thing about the map is the real-time tracking capabilities, where you can view the current location and trajectory.
Unlike Satellite Map, which shows all satellites, this tool is specifically for Starlink satellites. With it, you can view the direction and know the trajectory of Starlink satellites.
This information can be vital if you have a telescope for watching or a camera for taking satellite photos.
Satellite map. space
Satellite map. Space is a tool available on the app store and online. It uses data from space-track.org to display Starlink satellite’s orbital positions.
When you click any satellite on this tool, you can see information such as the launching date, altitude, and other data. You can also enter your address; the site will show when/if a satellite passes above your area.
Another free yet useful resource is the jame.darpinian.com website, created by Darpninian, a graphic engineer. Once you visit the website, there is a pop-up prompting you to allow access to your location.
On allowing location access, it brings a live video of the sky where you can see the satellites in your location. You can set different viewing times with the live feed and schedule a reminder.
Starlink Coverage Tracker
It is a superb tool for tracking satellites, allowing you to monitor trajectory, name, and other information. Each satellite features a blue circle showing its coverage quality and area of coverage.
While the tool shows satellites currently in orbit, it can also show standby satellites’ location and their coverage predictions.
Satellite in space
What is Satellite Tracker Data From Starlink
Having launched thousands of Starlink satellites into orbit, SpaceX must monitor and track their performance. For this to happen, the company developed an online tool known as a satellite tracker.
Therefore, satellite tracker data from Starlink is the collection and analysis of information from satellites necessary to monitor their performance. The collected information includes satellites’:
- The longitude and latitude coordinates of the satellite help determine its position and location on Earth.
- Altitude above the Earth’s surface to aid in determining the characteristics of the satellite while in orbit.
- Speed to help calculate its trajectory, thus determining a satellite’s future position
- Temperature to ensure satellite components operate within safe limits
- Amount of power consumption of the satellite for monitoring general health and optimum operation
- The angle relative to the ground helps determine orientation in space and alignment with other satellites
- Acceleration to predict how and when the satellite changes orbits
- Amount of sunlight reaching the satellite for monitored power generation through solar
While this data may help you know when to see the constellation, it mostly helps Starlink offer better internet services.
Satellite sending a signal to earth.
How to Perform Satellite Tracking With Starlink’s Satellite Tracker
As you may already know, Starlink’s satellite tracker helps the company know when their satellite has a problem.
For example, when the satellites’ power is low, they can adjust their angle to receive enough sunlight for solar charging.
The good news is that you can also use this tracker to know a satellite’s location. With this resource, you may also estimate when the constellation will appear above your area.
Below I will show you a quick way to perform satellite tracking with this tracker:
- Using your favorite browser, visit the Starlink website
- Use your already-established credentials to login into the site. Note that you need to be a Starlink user to have login details.
- Once you log in, locate the satellite tracker menu at the of the page and click it.
- It will redirect you to a page where you can enter your current address details
- Now you can select the satellite you wish to track and see its location and the time it will pass near you.
- You may also know its trajectory or elevation when you select these parameters on the website
Location tracking concept
Starlink’s Satellite Tracker Tips For Getting Accurate Tracking Results
Like any other satellite tracking tool, Starlink satellite tracker gives you estimated information on the satellite. But I understand as a professional stargazer.
You need more accurate information to plan your astronomical activities. Now, let me show you vital steps and tweaks you can use to get accurate tracking results.
User’s newest app version
The first tip is to utilize the newest version of the tracking app. You know, developers keep on updating their app versions to capture the latest data.
Therefore, an old version tracking app may not show the satellite’s current orbit.
If your app is up to date, ensure you use a fast and reliable internet connection. A fluctuating internet may not be able to capture real-time tracking results.
For example, by the time the internet loads fully, the satellite may have changed position.
Check accuracy settings
Follow your reliable connection by fine-tuning the satellite tracking accuracy settings. These include adjusting the refresh rate and specifying the tracking information you require.
Input correct coordinates
The next step is to ensure you input the correct coordinates. You can do a quick internet search to know the coordinates of your residence.
The information you enter about your address determines whether you get accurate results.
Avoid bad weather conditions.
As you know, bad weather may affect your internet connection and satellite viewing ability. It may also alter satellite movement, speed, and trajectory, thus affecting your tracking results’ accuracy.
For this reason, avoid weather conditions such as fog, mist, rain, and extreme winds.
Common Troubleshooting When Using Starlink’s Satellite Tracker
While the Starlink satellite tracker is vital for satellite watchers, it may experience some problems.
When this happens, you can easily troubleshoot it to get accurate results. In this section, I will equip you with some common satellite tracker problems and how to troubleshoot them.
- Inaccurate location: When you experience an inaccurate location, you could have entered the wrong latitude and longitude information. Ensure this information is correct for accurate position data.
- Disappearing satellite: Sometime, you may be unable to track the satellite properly due to bad reception. When this happens, ensure you are away from obstructions such as trees and buildings for a clear sky view.
- Outdated app. Outdated apps may cause poor satellite reception and generally inaccurate data. For excellent results, ensure your satellite tracking up is the newest possible version.
- Bad connection: Bad connection too can cause inaccurate data or disappearing satellites. To curb this, consider using reliable internet and avoid tracking during bad weather.
Troubleshooting in laptop
Starlink Satellite tracking is a fascinating activity for enthusiasts and professional satellite watchers. Some do this to ensure reliable internet, while others do it as a hobby to take satellite photos.
Whatever your reasons, ensure you use proper and updated apps for enhanced accuracy. It is important to note that most tracking data is an estimate, and some factors may hinder its accuracy.
Consider setting your satellite-watching equipment early so you do not miss your big moment.