How to Read a Kindle Book on a PC? Not a problem – you can still access Kindle eBooks on a computer even if you do not have a Kindle.
The Kindle device is for every reader who prefers digital eBooks rather than going out and buying physical books.
Although most people think the only way to read a book bought on the Kindle store is through Amazon devices, this isn’t the case.
In this article, we show you a detailed guide on how to read a Kindle Book on a PC.
Table of Contents
- Can I Read Kindle Books on My PC Without the Kindle App?
- How to Read a Kindle Book on a PC
- Read Kindle Books with Any eBook Reading App
Can I Read Kindle Books on My PC Without the Kindle App?
Fortunately, you can read eBooks on your PC even if you don’t have the Kindle App.
You can use Amazon’s Kindle application for PC or Kindle Cloud Reader to read a Kindle Book on PC.
You can also use third-party eBook reading apps, but this method requires downloading the eBook file from Amazon first.
Compared with an e-reader or tablet, a computer lets you read eBooks on a larger screen, giving you a full reading experience.
How to Read a Kindle Book on a PC
Here are the different ways to read your Kindle books directly from your PC.
Use Amazon’s Kindle for PC
The first and best way to read Kindle eBooks on a PC is by using the Kindle App. Amazon officially provides the Kindle App both on Mac and Windows devices.
This application allows for offline reading and lets you easily access books on Kindle without a Kindle device.
You can read in full-screen mode, add bookmarks, change font size, add notes, flashcards, and highlight texts.
Follow these steps to install and enable the Kindle App on your PC:
- Start by visiting the Amazon official page and downloading the Kindle for PC
- Follow the screen prompts to install the app on your computer
- After installation, the app should automatically open and prompt you for your credentials
- Log into the software or register with your Amazon account details
Use Kindle Cloud Reader
Concept of letters downloading to a laptop
If you don’t want to install the dedicated Kindle App for Mac or Windows, using the Kindle Cloud Reader is a perfect alternative.
This web-based application uses the Whispersync data, enabling you to access Kindle books in any web browser on any device.
It is compatible with Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome.
Follow the steps below to access the Kindle Cloud reader on your web browser:
- Launch your web browser and go to the Kindle Cloud Reader
- Sign in with your Amazon account details
- After signing in, you’ll access the Kindle library on the home page
- Now select a book title, double-click to open it, and start reading
Note that Kindle Cloud Reader will pick up from where you left off if you were already reading the same book on another device. You can sync your marks, notes, and furthest page read across devices. On top of that, you will also access a toolbar at the top with options to change the font, add notes, and create bookmarks.
Read Kindle Books with Any eBook Reading App
Besides using Kindle App for PC or Kindle Cloud Reader, there are other third-party eBook reading apps for reading Kindle Books on PC.
However, Amazon usually protects Kindle Books using a Kindle DRM. Meaning you can only access such books on Kindle-compatible software and devices.
To use third-party eBook reading apps, you must remove the Kindle DRM from Kindle eBooks.
Fortunately, there are some software and tools online for converting the Kindle DRM format to a format supported by your reading app.
Such popular tools for removing DRM protection include the Calibre and Epubor Ultimate.
To use an eBook reading app:
- Go to the Kindle App on your computer and download your favorite Kindle books
- Download and install the Kindle DRM removal software
- Open the Kindle DRM removal software and import Kindle books
- The software will detect the imported Kindle eBooks and decrypt the books to your desired format
- Once the decryption is complete, the converted ebooks should appear on the software’s main window
- The final step is adding the Kindle books to the eBook reading app
That’s all we have on how to read a Kindle Book on a PC. As you can see, you can read eBooks on your PC even if you don’t have the Kindle App.